Welcome back to the what supp blog. Keeping with the bite size hacks, I’m gona present another (grain free) pie shaped bite for you.
Broccoli sprouts my friend. Or, basically, baby broccoli!
What’s so special about broccoli sprouts I hear yee cry! Well, according to Johns Hopkins University, 3-day-old broccoli sprouts contain as much as 50 times the amount of some of the health-boosting phytonutrients of the mature broccoli.
Sulforaphane, the prominent phytochemical in broccoli, combats cancer on several fronts − including removal of carcinogens, prevention of cancer cell production, destruction of breast cancer cells, and tumor reduction. These small plants are in the cancer research limelight for their unique ability to exert 50 times the amount of cancer fighting power of broccoli.
Sulforaphane is also one of the most potent antioxidants and detoxification substances that we know of.
There was also a study done at Johns Hopkins that showed greater urinary excretion of air pollutants when sulforaphane was consumed.
Another recent article in the Journal PNAS even showed a reduction in autistic symptoms when sulforaphane was added to the diet.
Sprouts are easily absorbed into the system because they also contain potent digestive enzymes. Their flavor allows for easily adding them to all your favorite meals.
The magic actually comes from the process of chewing or crushing these lil nutrient powerhouses, so no swallow without a chew!
Ok, so you can buy these lil bad boys from any health food shop like wholefoods but try to go for fresh as opposed to an extract.
These really are a piece of pee to grow, all you ideally need is the sprouts and a sprouting jar which can be bought off amazon for around £15 max.
Here’s how it’s done..
– wide mouthed quart jar with spouting lid
– 2 tablespoons organic broccoli sprouting seeds
– purified water
– Place the seeds into a jar and cover them with a few inches of warm purified water.
– Let them soak overnight in a warm dark place. Then, after about 8 to 10 hours, drain the water off.
– Rinse the seeds with fresh water, 2 to 3 times a day for 4 to 5 days.
– Place the jar in a warm, dark place during this time period. Make sure to drain off all of the water after each rinsing to prevent spoiling of the sprouts.
– After 4/5 days place sprouts in a bowl with kitchen towel to absorb water and allow sunlight so they go green.
– Boom! Add to smoothies, salads or just plain snack.
Tip; to increase the bioavailability heat sports at 70 degrees Celsius (140 Fahrenheit) for 10 minutes in hot water. Try a cooking thermometer to get this spot on.
This tip was from Dr Rhondda Patrick who has praised broccoli sprouts on the joe rogan experience podcast.
One thought on “Snack Hack # 2 Broccoli Sprouts ”