Alrighty, got a a bit of a different one for you today. Ben Greenfield is a pretty smart cookie. He’s released a number of books around triathlon training, low carb training and even how to raise tiny superhumans. He has an awesome podcast with many a biohack and is consistently at the cutting edge of wholistic human optimisation.
This short post will give you Ben’s recipe for how to cook the perfect steak that he gave on Joe Rogan’s JRE podcast. And actually, it’s a pretty damn good one. So below I’ll break it down step by step..
1. Remove steak from fridge/freezer. Allow it to reach room temperature for about 45/60 minutes.
2. During this time, pre coat the steak by rubbing in a liberal amount of a decent sea salt. Then add cayenne pepper, if using pepper corns, roast them first. Lastly add rosemary, again liberally. Rosemary is best for steak’s flavour but is also reduces the cargonagins that are caused from cooked charred meat. If no rosemary available, you can use thyme, (also anti carcinogenic). Coat and press both sides.
3. Pre heat cast iron skillet in the oven for 5/10 minutes. Once heated to touch, take the skillet out and put on a medium to high heat on the hob. Coat pan with a very good extra virgin olive oil (try a bold flavour choice) for a maximum 2 minutes.
4. The skillet needs to be heated enough so the steak will sizzle when it hits. This allows it to crust on outside but not cook to much on inside. Cook for 3.5 minutes on each side for medium rare.
5. Place your oven on broiler heat (or the grill for everyone else not in the US). Now place the cast iron skillet in oven under broiler/grill and allow the steak to cook 1 minuet each side.
6. Take out the skillet from the oven and remove steak. Put a generous slab of grass fed butter in skillet and let it become liquid but don’t let it burn.
7. Place steak back in skillet with melted butter and cook for 1 more minute each side under grill and remove. Poor juices and melted butter over when serving and enjoy!