Today’s recipe is a dinner time speciality. Traditionally Shepard’s pie is made with lamb and Cottage pie with beef. You decide which meat to go with as both are pretty damn tasty and good sources of complete protein.
This meal is a great pre or post training meal. It’s got a nice healthy dose of carbohydrate, protein and various micronutrients. Try to get a lean cut when buying your mince beef or lamb.
– 1 large potato
– 1 large sweet potato
– 2 large carrots
– 1/2 tbsp of butter
– 100ml of milk
– 1 tin of chopped tomato
– 500g of lean beef or lamb mince
– 1 medium onion
– 4 cloves of garlic
– 2 tbsp of sour cream/creme fresh
– 2 tbsp of dried mint
– 1 tbsp of oregano
– 1/2 tsp of sea salt
– 1/2 tsp of black pepper
– Chop the potatoes, carrots and sweet potato into rough chunks. Boil or steam until soft and ready to mash.
– Once cooked, drain the water from the root veg and add butter and milk. A pinch of salt & pepper can also be added. Mash until all the lumps are removed and set to one side.
– Pre heat Your oven to 180c. Chop garlic roughly and put into blender with chopped tomato, sour cream/creme fresh, mint, oregano, salt and pepper.
– Chop onion up into your desired size and heat in pan on low heat until translucent. Now add the mince and cook until brown. Once browned, add the tomato mix and allow to simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
– Grease a pie dish and add mixture. Add mashed veg on top and smooth the mixture down using the back of a large serving spoon.
– Place in the preheated oven for 40 mins. Once done, remove and stand for 5 minutes before serving 👌.