So this is a super affordable, nutritious and (importantly!), quick throw together meal for lunch or dinner. The recipe is for two portions so great for dinner and a then a portion for lunch the following day, unless your significant other is also feeling peckish!
Turkey is a mean source of lean protein that although can dry out if you’re not careful, it does make a change from chicken.
I’ve calculated the calories for this meal using the 250g whole grain rice & quinoa quick cook pack I bought from Aldi, a supermarket chain in the UK, so you may need to make adjustments. For the rice part of the dish though you’re looking for around the 200kcal mark.
It’s always important to be mindful though that it can be very difficult to calculate calories exactly and not always helpful to try. For this meal though you have a pretty accurate figure here that one serving will be between 450-500kcal, as long as you exercise portion control!
Ingredients (2 portions)
– 2 x turkey steaks – cut into roughly even pieces
– 1 x tin of chopped tomatoes
– 1 x medium onion – diced
– 1 x handful of rocket or spinach
– 1 x tbsp of mixed herbs
– 2 x tbsp of half fat crème fresh
– 1 x tsp of oil
– 1 x 250g microwave pack of whole grain rice or quinoa (or alternative pack/ 75-100g dry rice depending on rice type)
2 portions – 470kcal per serving
- Heat the oil on a low to medium heat, adding the onions and sautéing them till translucent
- Add the turkey pieces and stir until lightly browned (3/5 mins)
- Add chopped tomatoes & spices, stirring thoroughly
- Add the crème fresh and continue to stir on low heat for 5 minutes
- Add rocket or spinach and continue to heat for 2-3 minutes
- Meanwhile heat the rice in line with pack instructions. Now combine cooked rice with turkey & tomatoes in mixing bowl, separate two portions, serve and enjoy! 👌