Welcome back to a long overdue return to the cheap eat recipe series! These are affordable, simple recipes you can use day in, day out.
Today’s recipe is simple. It can be used as a substantial side portion of your main meal or a handy snack to take out and about.
So, you may well, and probably rightly, question the combination of broccoli and ginger. I get it. But actually not only does it give these lil nutritional nuggets a tasty twang, but it seriously adds to the health benefits you’re receiving.
Ginger has some great anti inflammatory qualities. In fact one study compared highly concentrated ginger to a placebo in 247 patients with osteoporosis of the knee. The ginger was shown to reduce pain and stiffness in the knee joints by 40% over the placebo!
Black pepper is also a nice addition, alongside the salt, for this dish. Black pepper actually helps with absorption of other nutrients, so add it wherever you can!
Right then, time for the nuts and bolts..
– 1 whole washed broccoli
– 1 tbsp of coconut oil
– 1 to 2 tsp of ground ginger
– salt & pepper
– Chop the stem off the broccoli and cut into small florets
– Massage in the coconut oil thoroughly to broccoli florets
– Liberally sprinkle the ginger over followed by salt and pepper, (experiment a bit here with the quantity you want).
– Thoroughly tossing the broccoli, try to ensure all the pieces are well covered in the ginger, salt & pepper.
– Space out on oven tray and place in pre heated oven at 190c for 15/20 minutes, removing at 10 minutes to turn and mix the broccoli to ensure even cooking.
– Serve and enjoy!