So this one is a favourite of mine if I’m not training, cutting weight or basically needing something comforting whilst doing nothing much but sitting on the sofa all day.
There’s plenty of fibre to help keep you feeling full and enough protein from the eggs and kidney beans to support growth and repair. There’s also a huge amount of antioxidants to support your immune health and lower inflammation in the body. The addition of extra virgin olive oil and cracked black pepper also ensures you’ll absorb all that goodness! Oh, and let’s not forget it’s a super low calorie meal.
Ingredients:(Serves 3 to 4)
- 4 large free range eggs
- 1 diced onion
- 1 roughly chopped red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp of chilli
- 1 heaped tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 stock cube
- 200ml boiling water
- 1 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 400g partially drained kidney beans
- 1/4 tsp black cracked pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Gently heat the extra virgin olive oil (this is important as if you heat to high you will spoil it as it doesn’t tolerate high heat).
- Add the spices, salt & pepper and combine into a dry paste. Then add the diced onion and mix until the onion is lightly sautéed. Once translucent, remove onions from heat.
- Add the stock cube to the boiling water in a jug and mix with a fork until dissolved. Now add to the onions and place back on low heat.
- Add chopped tomatoes and after draining about half the can of the kidney beans, add and stir in to the soup.
- Finally add garlic, chopped red pepper and, digging out 4 little wells, crack the eggs into the soup.
- Allow to simmer on the low heat for around 10/15 minutes (or until the egg whites have cooked), serve and enjoy!
Please let me know how you get on, any additions you make and please share the recipe with your family and friends!