One way to think of the role of different macronutrients you eat is as the following; protein = recovery, carbohydrates = fuel and (healthy) fats = protection. With this in mind, it’s important to ensure you’re having a good balance of each one of them throughout your day.
Often people will over eat on carbohydrates and fats as they’re much more readily available in over the counter snacks. Protein on the other hand is not so often easily available.
It is especially important to keep your intake of good quality protein high if you’re training, recovering from injury and/or trying to loose body fat.
These homemade protein energy bars have a good balance of each macronutrient without a bunch of preservatives.
- 150g dates
- 2 scoops 40g protein
- 3 heaped tbsp cacao
- 100g almond
- 50g yogurt
- Pinch of sea salt
- 15g cacao nibs
- Place dates in a food processor, ensuring all are de-stoned. Blend them, scraping down the sides occasionally, until all are completely pulped.
- Add all other dry ingredients and blend, again scraping down the mixture from the sides to ensure an even blend.
- Lastly add yogurt and re blend to a consistent mixture.
- Place the mixture in a greased deep oven tray. Pat the mixture down as tight as you can using the back of a spoon.
- Leave in the fridge for 30/45 minutes, remove and cut into equal squares. 👌