This is an absolute favourite morning brekkie option for me and an absolute perfect option for those who get a sweat craving in the morning.
One of the standout ingredients here is dark chocolate with a cacoa content over 70%. Personally, the darker the better for me. I’ll happily go 90-100% in the choc and switch out the Nesquick for raw cacoa powder. I know this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea though and from a calorie perspective, lower % chocolate really won’t make a difference, (and may well be less calories!). There is however a few reasons that opting for higher % cacao chocolate could be beneficial for health.
Cacao has a number of qualities that support it being placed alongside so called “superfoods”. Cacao has a high concentration of flavonoids which are compounds that can lower blood pressure, improve blood flow to the heart & brain, and also fight cell damage.
Cacao is also rich in prebiotic compounds that feed the microbes that occupy your digestive system. These support digestion, destroy harmful bacteria and help to control your immune system.
- 45g oats
- 1 scoop/25g of unflavoured whey protein
- 2 x squares of Lindt 70% plus dark chocolate (or similar dark chocolate 70% or above)
- 125ml semi skimmed milk
- 1 x tbsp of chocolate flavoured Nesquick
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Snap chocolate pieces up evenly
- Combine all dry ingredients in small oven proof bowl apart from chocolate
- Add milk and stir thoroughly
- Add chocolate pieces evenly throughout bowl
- Place mixture in the oven for around 15-17 minutes
- Remove from oven and give 3-5 minutes to cool. Now serve and enjoy! 👌
If you’re a big porridge fan, also give this recipe for Banging Baked Oats a try. Here we replaces chocolate for peanut butter and add banana, making it a great pre training breakfast https://nutrition4fighters.co/2022/03/17/banging-baked-oats/
One thought on “Melted Chocolate Oats”